Thursday, November 3, 2011

And the Bad Mom of the Year Award goes to. . .


This is me, when I was a perfect mom. My daughter was 3 minutes old. I didn't maintain 'perfect' status for long.

Today, I forgot my kids' lunches for the second time this week. Yep, that'd be the third time this year.
On Monday, I was chit-chatting with the ladies as I made my way slowly out the door at lunchtime pick-up (when I get Sara). I didn't realize till I was driving home, that I hadn't packed lunches and made a frantic u-turn for Mickey D's. I ran into the lunchroom and scanned the room for Will and Kayte's blue polos among the sea of blue polos. I found them sitting there, forlorn, looking and waiting to see if anyone would notice that they were completely lunch-less. I felt horrible.
Today, I was at home when the thought came to me (like a Mack truck). It was 11:42. (Lunch starts at 11:35.) Again, I had nothing packed. I hollered at Ben in such a panic he started crying. I hauled his crying soul outside in the frost, barefoot, and strapped him in, threw it into gear and hauled mach 10 down Mabelle. (I suggest avoiding my street during daylight hours. Just sayin') After the fastest possible stop at Arby's, I flew in to the lunchroom, nearly 20 minutes late. The kids were in the kindergarten classroom, where their Grandma was trying to scrounge up some kind of lunch for them out of the snack closet. I couldn't even make eye-contact with the sorry kids. Signe was watching the lunchroom and smiled at me as I hurried out in shame. (She has 9 kids to bag lunches for, that has to be impossible to forget! And do!)

Needless to say, my nomination for Epic Failure has been seconded and passed. I'm expecting a plaque next week. It'll go nicely with Joe's framed patents.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Carissalayla said...

I am obviously not the poster mom for perfection (ahem...my last few posts)but I too had a little problem with this so I made an AM check off list for Carter to look at every morning, at the end it says get your lunch, pack back pack, put on coat (very basic stuff) but it really helped and if I had not made her lunch yet she said "mom, I can't put my lunch in my back pack until you make it!" no problems since!