Friday, January 14, 2011

First Ski Trip Ever! January 2011

What better way to ring in the new decade than introducing a new sport to the kids. . . .A condo on the mountain for a week and as much skiing as possible? Yep, that's pretty high on my list of dream vacations! Not pictured here in my many many photos are some additionally news-worthy items: Ben's first ski-attempt, dinner with a highschool friend and her family, a swimming pool and hot tub, and a car accident that turned out to be just a fender bender! It was an awesome week all around!
The weather was supposed to turn 'arctic' cold early on in the week, so we didn't waste any time getting on the mountain and taking advantage of some powder and sunshine.
The mountain was great, they had a nice little deal for Kayte and Will which included two days' worth of ski rentals, lift tickets, and ski lessons for just $69 each.
Gearing up. Super-pumped!

They had a lot of staff doting on us, and we got fitted and out of there in a flash. With Kayte and Will in capable hands, Joe and I were free to help Ben and Sara. I took right to it with Sara. They had a 'magic carpet ride' to get to the top of the bunny hill, which she was pretty excited about. Then it was a bit of work down to the bottom of the hill, but by then she was all ready to get back on the carpet, and before she knew it, she was skiing!
Ben was not so easy to convince. He was a bit fed up with the whole idea by the time we got him to the carpet. He stayed quiet enough on the way up, but was absolutely not interested in going down. I gave up half-way down the bunny hill, and Joe kept an eye on him the rest of the morning while I worked with Sara. He had a good view of the kids and got to cheer them on.

My photos are a little out of order, so here are the kids on their first chair ride up after they'd spent the morning in their lesson:



Me, teaching Sara:




Snacktime! After lessons, we had a quick lunch, then Joe took the littles home for naps, and Kayte and Will and I hit chair 6 and our first green circles.




More on the carpet ride.



It was really busy on Saturday, but cleared out the rest of the week, which was nice.



You can see Will up behind Kayte in the one too.



Sara! Getting the hang of it!

We did get a little downtime in the lodge too.

And back at the cabin, after a long day on the slopes:

Apres-ski, fire & jacuzzi, dee-lish!

The kids loved the spiral staircase and the loft bedroom!

Such a nice condo, I hope we get to go back someday!


We managed to have room for some toys too!
On one of the off-days, when it was too cold to ski, we headed to the ice rink (which was actually very cold as well!) Will decided at the last moment that he would like to give it a try, but he never really got into it. Kayte liked it and Sara said it "made her happy". So that was good :)
I cannot say I'm a huge fan. It was cold, and I'm afraid of cracking my head on the ice. But the little guides are nice. I used that for awhile and got around ok :)











We waited out the cold and then headed back out on the final day we were there. My highschool buddy, Erin took Ben for the day so that Joe and I could keep up with Sara and the two olders. By this time, Sara was doing turns, Kayte was getting to be a fearless little bomber, and Will was catching air. No matter what percentage of his face was frozen solid, he would not go inside. He loved it and ate it up! In the last hour, we found a really cool trail with a tunnel and loop-de-loos and jumps. That was the grand finale for all of us! (Joe finally got to do a little jumping and I got to get up to speed a little. . . . :)



Ha ha! How can she see???




So. We had a great time. I'm already convincing Joe to get us out there one more time this year. I don't think he can resist Will's passion for it. The whole thing way exceeded my very high expectations. And best of all they liked it! Or loved it! It was so important to me that they enjoy it and want to, you know, do it for a living or something. That kind of 'like'. And I know I've hooked Will. Kayte loves it too, but the first time she goes fast enough to blow the tears right out of her eyes, I'll have her hooked too :) And little Sara definitely enjoyed it enough to beg to get out there, and she is the one who doesn't so much appreciate the cold.
So anyway. Huge success. Loved every minute. Definitely recommend.

6 comments:

Dave said...

This is Ann via Dave's password.

What a delightful vacation! I am thrilled to see them on the slopes. And, thinking back, I am also glad that Logos took our kids on ski trips...otherwise they never would have learned. Dave and I know nothing about skiing. I think I am missing something in my life! Congratulations on a successful and amazing vacation.

Dave said...

Sara looks like a hockey player in one of the ice rink pictures! She might want to pack on a bit more weight for that occupation.

Paula said...

Didn't you hear? She hit 35 pounds! She is headed in the right direction :)

Jan said...

They have been "bitten", keep'em going!! Some day they will take themselves to the mountain and a car full of friends!!

kelly said...

The kids loved these pictures! They want to go too!

Paula said...

K, I'm dying to take them!!!