Thursday, October 30, 2014

The things I've seen...

So I pulled out the old sewing machine again this week.  (Yes, it's still Kelly's.)
I volunteered for a little straight-type sewing, and as it turns out, it can be a bit of a challenge for me. And when under-the-gun, a little bit of a disaster.  But there are three little nuggets I learned in this round that I'd like to share:
 
First, a stitch in time saves more than nine.  Some days, taking your time at the beginning might save a whole hour.
 
Secondly, your bobbin will always run out of thread just two inches before finishing the entire project.  So just plan for this.  And don't freak out.
 
Finally.  I'm a little suspicious that the queue for cutting fabric at JoAnn's is a test that all the competent seamstresses like to dole out to us lowlier types.  If you haven't got the patience to stand in line for an hour to get one yard of ribbon snipped from the roll, well then, you are certainly in the wrong line of work.  Patience is the only virtue when you finally get to sitting behind the machine.  So if you struggle to keep your temper at JoAnn's, perhaps you shouldn't give up that day job.
 
...and I guess this post wouldn't be complete if I didn't add a gentle warning.  If I offer to help you out with a little sewing, no matter how small, I suggest that you politely decline.  Some days I get just a touch big for my britches.

No comments: