Friday, September 5, 2014

Welcome, September.

I adore fall.  I love it.  I feel like August is that long chug chug chug up to the highest point on a rollercoaster, and as you crest the hill anticipating the thrill of the drop, that, that point is September.
Today was the first day since school started that I actually felt like I was coming up for air.  My calendar was blessedly empty.  I mean, the square was totally blank.  I doodled a bit.  I hiked up to the depths of the attic for fall décor.  I lit a mulled cider candle.  And of course, I made this: 
Zucchini Bread.
 

This is my happy place.  I read about this lady once who didn't like cinnamon.  And I was sad, because I knew that we could never be friends.  Who doesn't like cinnamon??!
Joe and I are the epitome of *opposites attract*.  He is a summer boy: there is nothing happier than that guy on the river on a hot summer day.  I can only compare this kind of bliss to sitting by a hot, sputtering fire while the wind builds snow angels in the air outside.
But in September, we meet up for a brief moment.  He gets fish fever as soon as he smells a smoky September breeze.  I drench the air in cider.  It always reminds me of that scene in Ladyhawke, where the woman has to hide from the sunrise to catch a glimpse of her love, before she is turned back into a hawk.  For that one moment, they can see each other face to face.
And we are already 5 days in!

No comments: