Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A new skill.

So Will really wanted to give crocheting a try.  This didn't strike me at all as an odd request.  He's my fine motor-skills kid, plus he likes to make gifts.  All sorts.  At the first opportunity, I went out and got him a needle and some yarn.  I knew from the good old days how to make a single crochet stitch.  I never did learn anything else, although I had a great Aunt Margaret that did her best to show me how to crochet a hot pad.  The lesson never stuck.  I've never been a crafty one.
But I promised Will, I'd teach him what I knew, he could practice that for a bit, and then he'd have to go ask his teacher, Mrs. Loyd, for some help.  She teaches all the girls how to knit or crochet at recess.  I knew she had lots of grandsons so I figured she might take a chance on my little buddy.  And she did!  He is now a good way into making a nice little blue scarf, and he seems to have a bit of a knack for it!
Of course, when his friends heard that he wanted to learn how to crochet, they all laughed!  And I suppose I knew they would.  It was a great life lesson.  You have to learn to be your own man and stand up for yourself.  And I'm super-proud of who this bud is turning out to be! 

No comments: