Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Half!

We did it!  We made it to CDA and we ran a little half marathon, and I tell you, it was not as fun as it looks :)  The first three miles were pretty torturous, cause I knew what was still ahead of me, and the last three were hard on a completely different scale and I felt like I really understood what killed that guy that ran the very first marathon ever.  Cause I couldn't imagine turning around on that finish line and running it over again.  Or walking it over again.  Or really, putting any pressure on the gas pedal to do it over again...
But my kids were there, and my parents were there, and my really supportive husband was there, and that is why in every picture, it looks like party-time :)
At the first mile or so:

About 8 miles in:

You can see Will back there on the sidewalk.  He would run next to me and cheer and encourage.
My hair sure looks like it's putting in a full day.  Ha!

We had time to shower and make it back to town for lunch at Red Robin with all the kids.....I love love love me a bacon cheeseburger!
My fans:

Oh yeah!  We got medals for finishing!  That was my favorite part!  I kept staring at it all day like a kindergartener  :)  I don't think I've ever gotten anything like that for an athletic event before, so yeah...
And my little Ben was so excited when he saw it, "You won???" says he.  "Yay!!!  You won!"  And yep, I didn't bother denying it :)

Kelly, the reason that I did it...really truly, I would've never done it without her.

My favorite person.  Seriously.
(Ack!  My hair!  I'm a little disappointed Joe looks so hot in this photo, or I would've totally ditched it.  I'm growing it out tomorrow....)
I cannot say for sure that I will ever do this again.  I appreciated it for training purposes, and it was exhilarating in a labor & delivery sort of way, but it'll take me a bit to get back out there.  I'm just really glad I did it!  Take that, bucket list!

3 comments:

Carissalayla said...

great work Paula! I am still daying after mile 3, on the treadmill : )

kelly said...

That first picture cracks me up!! Who knew running was so fun and glamorous?

Jan said...

I'm so proud of you girls, you did it, you'll always remember that!