Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Undesirable Mileposts.

Last week I let Will ride on his bike all alone down the street two whole blocks.  The worry demon inside me fought me tooth and nail on that one.  Now he is making his way around the whole block.  I've warned him about looking both ways, staying on the sidewalk, remembering the cars can't always see you with the sun glare and the texting, and don't talk to strangers, and watch out for cars that are slowing down next to you for they hold possible evil, and don't ever ever ever ever go out without your helmet.  Is that it?  Is that all I can possibly think of?
You know, back when we were teaching him how to ride a bike, it was all exciting and congratulations.  But now he actually wants to ride it.  Alone.  Without my supervision.  And I'm terrified.  And the kid in me is rolling my eyes, cause back when I was 6, I'm pretty sure me and my sister were walking solo two whole blocks to Modern Way to get our Jolly Rancher fix with our 50 cent allowance. 
I wonder if it gets easier, letting your kids grow up.

No comments: