Monday, September 12, 2011

The day the cell phone died.

So our house is yes, still on the market. Apparently, we had a showing scheduled from 1-2 today. The realtor left a message regarding this showing on my dead cell phone this morning. So yes, I didn't get it. Even if my cell had any signs of life, it wasn't likely that I would've gotten it. I didn't actually touch down at all today. Until 1. I'd gone to put my feet up for a minute. The kids were sleeping in their new rooms. And suddenly I hear a puff puff noise, like a tired little Ben struggling to make it up the stairs. But no. It was the sound of an elderly man tuckered from the trip into my kitchen. His wife. And their realtor.

I don't know about you, but for me a showing is like preparing for a speech in front of a large crowd. It takes a lot of time and care to make sure that everything is ready and absolutely perfect. Every i dotted, every t crossed. Having an unannounced showing is like being totally unprepared for a speech in front of a large crowd (and because it is your house, and therefore very personal) you look down to see that you also forgot your pants. Perhaps you think I exaggerate? Get up, right now, and walk around examining your house. Check the trash, go through all the cupboards and closets in your house. Are all the toilets flushed, seats down? Perhaps you don't have toddlers? I haven't actually made a speech in just my underwear, but considering the shade of purple I am, still now, an hour later, makes it hard for me to think I could feel more humiliated. Just sayin', it's not the way my mama raised me.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh Paula, I once had something similar (but on a kitty-cat is to a tiger level, yours being the tiger). I was chillin' in my living room years and years ago, wearing just skivvies (no idea why) when the doorbell rang. For reason I thought it was it really important to answer it. It wasn't. So I wrapped up in an afgan toga-style, sent the Jehovah's Witnesses on their merry way, and then realized it was a rather a hole-y afgan. That'll teach 'em!

Paula said...

Ahhh, a good laugh. I'm a little bit cheered up.

Kathryn Church said...

We had the realtor show up unannounced after church (mid- changing out of church clothes!). I'm just grateful the front door and floor creaked so we had enough time to pull ourselves, at least, together!

kelly said...

Must have deadbolt. I use it anytime things are a disaster and I just know some realtor's gonna stroll on in.