Saturday, September 4, 2010

The day Kayte broke.

Tuesday was a busy day. I was doing a meal for a new mom and cleaning the house for a room mom meeting I was hosting that evening. I'd just gotten back from the store that morning and hauling all the stuff out to start pre-making the dinner. My mom calls and says they've been looking for me, Kayte broke her arm. And I swear, in that moment, panic. I'm not sure I registered right away that she actually broke her arm. The only thing I could think was, 'your daughter needed you and you weren't there.' Fortunately, they got a hold of Joe, and they were already on their way to the doctor. I called Shawna and told her I was coming over with my kids. I grabbed Sara and Ben out of the backyard and left the door wide open and the chicken thawing on the counter. My cell was dead and so there was nothing I could do on the way. Shawna wasn't there yet, so I went next door to borrow the neighbor's phone so I could call the doctor and see if they were still there. Every minute felt like an hour! Shawna drove up, I threw the kids at her and flew to the office. I drove up just in time to see Joe loading my broken little girl back into his car. I hollered out the window for him to wait for me. I was so proud of my presence of mind which reminded me to grab Kayte's insurance card out of the console (it was my only lucid moment of the day) and I climbed in the backseat of Joe's car and huddled in next to Kayte. (Eight hours later, my dad went to retrieve my car only to discover I'd left it running the entire day. So much for lucidity.) Kayte was white and small and definitely in shock. She dozed off in the waiting room that was mercifully empty. Finally she was called in and we hustled her in for xrays. They told us the orthopedic surgeon was in surgery and he would be out in 20 minutes. The grandparents trickled in to say hello. Kelly and Jack checked in. Hours past. I didn't want to leave the room even to go to the bathroom cause I was afraid I'd miss the surgeon. Kayte slept hard. We sent some e-mails but mostly just sat there staring at her while she slept, and prayed. They wouldn't give her food or drink or meds, just in case she needed surgery. The ER was suddenly alive with activity and we were well down the list of urgency. We joked about calling our friend Joe, an orthopedic surgeon in Coeur d'Alene, and asking him to fly his little plane down and save my little girl. I recalled that I'd never even been in labor at the hospital that long before giving birth! We took more xrays. Finally we heard from the surgeon who'd been called into yet another surgery. The news was worth waiting for: no surgery! They shot her with morphine, wrapped up her arm and sent us home with meds (6 1/2 hours later). We were to schedule an appointment in the next week, after the swelling went down, to get it cast.
The orange bear was from the nurses. It is amazing how something so small can be such a big deal to kids. She really lit up when they handed her four Toy Story stickers, enough to share with her siblings.

Um. . .yeah. That doesn't look right.
Eventually we will get pictures of the xrays and share them. They are definitely gruesome and worth sharing. Kayte was stellar all day. I've had so many people comment how calm she was all morning, she was definitely in shock, but she isn't a screamer. Fortunately Connie, her teacher, and my mom were both on the scene when it happened. And Will was there too! He is my little EMT-in-training and kicked it in to gear. He is extremely protective of Kayte, and tenderhearted about any injured party and he took good care of her, and has continued to love on her all week. He gathered up all his treasured possesions to give to her as a get well gift :) He was very worried when he heard she had broken her arm.
When we were finally all settled in at home he leans close to me and whispers in a concerned voice, "Does she still have her hand?" And I smiled and nodded and he said "Phew!" and wipes his brow.
"What about her fingers? Are those ok?"
"Yes, those are ok. She is going to be ok."
"Good. That's good then. . . .that she still has her fingers."
Despite saving her fingers :), it has been an extremely rough week for Kayte. The pain has been excruciating, the meds were making her puke. She needed assistance to sit down, stand up, lay down, and go to the bathroom. I barricaded the room she is in so that her linebacker brother Ben won't permanently damage her. She misses her friends. They have been great. She is constantly getting letters, gifts, candy, and visitors. People are bringing her their books and movies and flowers.
Finally yesterday, Friday, she seemed to turn a corner. I had to cut off the blouse she was wearing, which was traumatic for her, even though it was last year's shirt :) I found a jumper that had button tabs at the top so she could slide that on without really moving. I picked up a few similar styles so she has a change for the day, and one for night. Yesterday afternoon she finally started to walk around on her own and this morning she was actually playing dolls with Sara! I am fearful of what this week's appointment will be like. I'm hoping that they don't have to set it, or re-set it, or do surgery after all. And most of all, I don't want a repeat of this week. It turns out I have an extremely low tolerance for my children's pain.
The best part is, we've gotten to spend a lot of time with her, and she's a sweetie! I cannot wait to see her all in one piece again.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Meredith Family said...

Boo! Poor Kayte! Praying for quick recovery for your little sweet heart!

Carissalayla said...

oh Paula I can only imagine what you went through, so sorry to hear about sweet Kayte. We will be praying for her and for you!

The Saragon said...

What a story Paula! I know Joe would have loved to help out, waiting in the hospital sometimes just makes the injury worse!
Sending thoughts and prayers to Kayte

Michelle said...

Matt broke his leg the summer before he went into 1st grade. It was right above the growth plate so they put him in a full leg cast for approximately 6 weeks and in a wheel chair. Then he got a walking cast just before going to school. It is so hard to see your kids hurting! I hope she continues to do well and just feels better and better everyday!!