Monday, September 20, 2010

Lunching al Fresco.


Aren't they cute?
Someone was just asking me today about the 'friend' dynamic among my siblings. Kayte and Will have always been tight. Being only 16 months apart, they grew up together like twins. Kayte doesn't remember life without Will. And for the most part, they really adore each other. When Kayte was off at school and Will was home, Will and Sara had to learn to play together, and they got on pretty well. It is nice when you are only working with two at a time, three always sets things a little off-kilter.
Recently it has just been Sara and Ben. And they don't always get along so well. Being the younger set, they've had to learn to fight for their place a little, so fighting comes quite naturally. There is always someone bigger out there, happy to tell them what to do. One day, I took Sara aside and said, "Sara, don't you see Kayte and Will and how much fun they have together? They like each other and play together and get along. You are the older sister. You need to learn to love Ben the way that Kayte and Will love each other."
She really liked this idea, seeing herself as the older one, in charge of making it work. And I've seen them working things out a little better lately. I love that. I want them to be tight. And I love it that Kayte and Will are such an easy example for them!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: