Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The cup overflows. . .

My personal fav: passed out at Boulder Beach with grandpa!

I have to make a note of today because it is the kind of day that I want to remember when I am. . . .oh, maybe when I'm helping my daughter pick out her wedding veil.
The kids were up so late last night and had really run themselves out of steam by livin' it up all day. And because they have a clock in their room, they got up right at 7, regardless of the fact that they could've easily rolled over and slept till 10. But it is summer and they are children with very busy lives, so we got on to our usual routine and the kids were at swim lessons by 9 am.
By the time they got home from working out in the pool for half an hour and cleaning their room, which had been unattended to for nearly 3 days (which is decades in the history of a child's room!), they pretty much fell in a heap in the yard when I sent them out to play.
There was simply no play left.
So I let them lie around back there for awhile, and then we got in the car to run some errands (drive-thru errands, I'm not completely nuts!) and I thought we might as well pick up some lunch while we were out.
Will started in on his RainMan routine, "It is 11:45. . . .15 minutes late for lunch. . .It is 11:49. . .19 minutes past lunch. . . ."
(pause a moment to be impressed by this kid's math skills. . .)
Then Kayte pipes up, "If they take too long at the bank, Will and I are going to starve."
Which I said was unlikely, since I'd never heard of anyone starving three hours after having a bowl of Oh's.
Then Sara started squealing for a banana and it was all starting to get unreal, "I want a banana, mama!!!! I want a banana!!!!!"
I mean, it was a scene right out of Walmart!
And then the unthinkable happened. . . I started to giggle uncontrollably. . .I couldn't help myself. . .the smile came up and wouldn't stop!
This made Kayte a bit indignant, "If you don't stop laughing, I'm gonna cry!"
And Will thought that sounded like great fun, so he started snickering too, which just made my case of the giggles that much worse!
Anywhoo, I managed to regain control of myself, but lost complete control of my kids, and we swept through the rest of the drive-thrus in town with lightning speed, kids wailing and snickering all the way home and straight to their beds.
Ahh. . . .my cup sure is full.
Thank heaven I have a smidgen of sense of humor left! (even if it gets me into trouble sometimes!)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Meredith Family said...

I need to learn how to laugh like that a little more often!! Your such a great mommy!! And your kids are just wonderful!!