Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bucket List.

Ok, one of the little items on my bucket list was always to climb to the top of Multnomah and get the full view. We were kid-less, and the weather was unseasonably gorgeous, so we took advantage of it and started off. Silly me, I wore my down jacket. I ended up carrying that more than eight-ninths of the way. The trail is straight up, with some fantastic views, and my little legs were doing double-time to Joe's saunter. I was at once thankful for all that time on the treadmill the past 9 months.

When we finally reached the top, all that calorie-burning was proved completely worth it!

It really took a bit of restraint to not climb over the fence to sit on that patch of ground just on the edge there. I can't say as a 20 year-old, I would've had that kind of self-control. I just wanted to get that much closer. That's the teeny weeny bridge at the bottom of the falls. My camera put on a brave face and allowed me to hold it out as far as I could for this particular shot. This is the other side of the lookout, about 6 feet from the dropoff. Behind Joe is a sweet little stream, and just beyond that more of the same. But just 12 feet from where we stand, and the edge of the falls, you can walk right up to the stream and dip your toes in. Or fall in and without warning get swept over the edge.


Yep, they had plenty of warning to stay on the trail and not cut across the zig-zags, but absolutely no mention of the fact that you were just 12 feet from falling to your certain death. Let's agree though, not a terrible way to go. Am I right? Being up this high made my legs jelly. I'm not afraid of heights in the classical sense, but there is a sense of distance, no doubt about it. Awesome weekend!

1 comment:

Carissalayla said...

those falls are beautiful!