Will's birthday was on a Sunday this year, so we chose to make it a three-day weekend, and ditched school that Friday. The possibilities for the day were endless, we didn't know where to begin! Last year, we learned how to play chess. This year, could be a learning year too! Or we could bike or hike, it had been a warm week! But we woke up to cool and cloudy and possibly rainy, so we hunkered down at home, and I taught him how to make bread. Of course, we were missing some key ingredients, and since we were out anyway, we started the birthday here:
The owner of Buy the Dozen just won a TV donut bake-off and a $10,000 prize, which, if you live in a small town, is a little bit like winning something yourself. Everyone is on the same team in a small town. After an extensive taste-test, Will agreed that they deserved a win. The donuts are to-die-for.
We headed home, rolled up our sleeves and commenced our own baking!
While we waited for the dough to rise, we played NBA Jam, where he trounced me thoroughly, and a game of chess, where he also schooled me. I knew I was a goner on both points, but I was hoping for a lucky break.
Our little loaves. We tried a cinnamon loaf too...that was a first!
We headed to Applebees, and this was the moment I lost Will to one of the 50 TVs playing all-sports all the time.
Steak and Fries and Sliders, yes please!
From there it was Zeppoz. I had to talk Will into it. He isn't terribly fond of sports that don't come naturally to him, but I thought he did pretty well, right out of the gates! I insisted that he try without bumpers and then took loads of pictures of him....he was not pleased.
Not too shabby!
We both took a bit of a dive after the first set, so we consoled ourselves with some video games at the arcade.
By that point, our day had run out! We headed back to pick up the kids from school and finally get that bread in the oven. It was quite a hit, and I think screamed of the success of the day.
I love love loved this day with my bud....
No comments:
Post a Comment