Wednesday, December 15, 2010

St. Lucia's Day, December 13th.

Kayte planned a little St. Lucia's Day treat for us 6 months ago, after reading the American Girl book about Kirsten's Christmas. She kept close track of the December calendar so she wouldn't miss the big day, and she wouldn't tell any of us what it was. She did say that usually it happens at 4 am, and I said it would be ok if we did 7 am (that's Hawaii's 4 am anyway.) She accepted this, and even though I again forgot all about it, at 7 am sharp, Kayte, dressed in her white dress (as is tradition) snuck into the kitchen with Will, made breakfast for the whole family, and then one by one delivered it to us in our beds saying "St. Lucia welcomes you to breakfast." Traditionally she would be wearing a wreath with burning candles on the top of her head. I'm very thankful she has reached the age where even she knows that may not be practical, and skipped that part.
She reminds me so much of me when I was her age. I too read about St. Lucia's day in a recipe book when I was 13 years old. It had a bread wreath that was often made by the oldest daughter of the family and presented to them with six burning candles in it, the evening of December 13th. So, in honor of our mutual love for the day, I dug out that old recipe and made it as a surprise for Kayte that night. I love it that she totally gets me. Or that I totally get her :)


Will wanted to be in the pic, he helped!



The wreath I made for Kayte. Next year, we will make it together.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Carissalayla said...

awesome! I want to make that bread too as Carter has Kirsten and read the books too, what a treat! Can I find the recipe online?

Lauren said...

Kayte sure is a sweetie-pie!