Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Every journey begins with a first step. . .


Threadin' the bobbin!
(I think that's what that's called!)

Ok, I haven't sewn a stitch in 18 years, but I've always fancied myself quite the seamstress. When I was younger I made doll clothes for my Cabbage Patch Doll and later for my American Girl Doll with my grandma's old Singer. I even altered a pattern to make a doll dress to match one of my own. So this Christmas my mother-in-law, Ann, bought me this beautiful sewing machine so that I could get back to this forgotten hobby. Free-time has been scarce the last six months, but the Fall Jolly is now just a week away and I still haven't whipped up that apron and burp-cloth that I promised to donate for the craft booth, so it is time to get to work!
I'm completely intimidated! Miss Jo-Ann frightens me, I know nothing about interfacing or grain lines. I sat down and read the instruction manual from start to finish. The Singer box does say "Easy!" and so does the pattern I bought. But already I accidentally bought $8 white thread, pinned and repinned my pattern twice, and burnt a big white spot on my dining room table! And yet I still maintain images of grandeur in my head, like, when can I get to the store to buy material for matching quilts for the girls' room? I don't know. . . there is something about the challenge that completely inspires me!
And hey, the girls don't even share a room yet, so there is still time for me to make those quilts!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: