Friday, May 8, 2015

Age...it's catching up with me!

It's the usual April Panic.  After a ho-hum January effort to get back into running shape, by April I start to panic.  I have this thing about Bloomsday.  I gotta run it.  I love/hate it!  But I love it cause it forces me to get back on the treadmill.  And this spring, I've even been outside!  But the April Panic that I have every year, makes me add miles that I'm not quite ready for.  When I was 20, if I'd had that kind of inkling, I might've been fine.  (Youth is wasted on the young.)  But now, well, frankly, it's a miracle I can still run at my advanced age.  No really.  Every time I run, I think, this is a miracle!!  Look at my little legs go!
So April Panic in the last couple of years has lead to April Injuries.  This year, it was my Achilles.  Haha.  I just think that is funny to say.  It doesn't seem real. Like injuring your funny bone.  Just, walk that off!!
Anyway,  I finally sought some professional help.  She literally taped me back together, and then told me to dunk it in ice.  Personally, the ice thing seems like an old wives' tale.  But then...so does tape!  So I tape, and ice, and drug, and the next morning, after 10 days of hobbling, I get up and I can walk!  And, even better... run!
Another miracle!  The lame can walk!

So I bought more tape.  Really cute tape!  And this injury all of a sudden makes me feel powerful!  Like now, look at me run!!  I ran until I injured myself!!  This takes extra skill.  Only real athletes injure themselves, right?
This tape is awesome though, I highly recommend.  Next time the kids get the flu, I'm just gonna tape this stuff around their belly.  That will surely take the edge off.

No comments: